Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Learning Community.




This semester, I was placed in a “learning community”, which was something that I had never experienced before.  A learning community is a group of students who share two common classes, in my case, English and Inquiry.  We have common discussions, assignments, and class work.  When we are assigned a project, it is each of our jobs to provide feedback to our peers, as well as be open to their opinions.  We also brainstorm to created our own assignments, such as our final self-assessment in Inquiry class.  We have also learned about Southern’s campus together, doing campus safari’s and scavenger hunts. We also discuss various articles, current issues, and work together on relating things like time management and studying to our lives as college students.  We talk about what we hope to accomplish while at school, and what we aspire to be in the future.  We also have a senior peer-mentor, Katelyn.  She answers any questions that we have as freshman, and encourages us to become involved in our community, just like she has. 
Next semester, I am definitely going to miss seeing the same group of people on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  I am going to miss our discussions with Professor Sinclair (our English professor) and completing the various group assignments.  I am also going to miss the fact that every one gets along so well, something that I don’t see in any of my other classes.  This learning community has been a positive experience, and I am leaving this semester with a new confidence that was absent at the beginning of the year.              

No comments:

Post a Comment